1) The competition will take place monthly and the topic for the month will be set by the declared winner of the competition that took place two months previously.
Example. January’s winner sets March topic, Feb. sets April etc.
2) At the beginning of each month an announcement will be posted using the sample format shown at appendix a).
2.1) Appendix a) states that the stories should have between 500 and 3000 words. From time to time and by general agreement this limit can be changed to shorter (short) stories of between 250 and 500 words and possibly with an open topic. It will be for the winner of a monthly competition to suggest that this should happen for one future month only, but he or she should seek the agreement of other writers.
In the absence of such general agreement 500 to 3000 words shall apply.
3) When the competition closes a vote collection discussion page will be posted using the sample format shown at appendix b).
4) The closing date for the competition will be the last day of the competition month, at Midnight.
5) Votes will not be accepted until after all the entries have been listed and the competition is closed.
6) The voting period will extend over a minimum of 5 days. This period shall include a week-end. Voting will end at 11.00 p.m. on the final nominated day.
7) Any interested party may vote in the prescribed way, but only once.
Writers (competitors) will be expected to vote, but not for their own work. A Discussion “Vote collection” page will be set up each month and votes should be posted there in the form of a comment. Ideally this page will be used exclusively for votes. Plus a short explanatory comment if necessary.
8) Each vote totals nine points. 5 points for first place, 3 points for second, and 1 point for third. No other combination of marks will be accepted.
9) A full tabulation of the result will not be published until after the voting period has closed (i.e. no running totals will be officially posted).
10) In the event of a tie for first place, the winner will be whoever has the widest spread of votes.
Example. Four 5 (top) point votes for an entry, equal to 20 points, would take second place to 20 points for another entry made up by totalling five or more voters.
10.1) In a month where the shorter (short) story 250 to 500 word rule applies, if after applying rule 10 two or more stories are still equal then the story nearer to 250 words will be the winner.
(Last amended 1st. August 2016.)
Template for a typical Sample. a)
THE MONTHLY CREATIVE WRITING COMPETITION (MONTH AND YEAR). NOTES FOR COMPETITORS.
Details of the (month and year) contest.
The topic this month has been set by ( competition winner from two months previous to current date), and is (name and details of topic)
The length should be between 500 and 3000 words.
(If copying this template please see rule 2.1 of the Rules which provides for occasional shorter short stories.)
Closing date for entries-Midnight (last day of month and current year).
Voting period (to be confirmed). From closing date until 11.00 p.m. (at least 5 days after the last day of the month and to include a full weekend).
Publish stories on your personal blogs and create a link to your stories as a comment on this post.
The prize for winning is to set the topic for the (two months hence) competition.
The competition is open to anyone with an interest in short story writing.
Voting is open to all. Just prior to the month closing date a vote collection point will be set up n the competition blogpage.. Here will be listed a link to all the submitted stories along with the rules for voting.
Our anthologies of previous 1st 2nd and 3rd placed stories can be found on Lulu.com
A list of detailed rules for the competition can be found here.
Template for a typical Sample b)
(MONTH AND YEAR) CREATIVE WRITING COMPETITION VOTE COLLECTION POINT. LIST OF ENTRANTS AND LINKS TO STORIES.
Submissions for entry to the (Month and year) Creative Writing Competition closed at Midnight on (last day of month just closed)
Voting can commence and will continue until 11 p.m. on( date at least five days hence and to include a full weekend).
There are no restrictions as to who is allowed to vote, all that is asked that the voter reads all the stories and votes according to their preference. A brief reason for your choice is welcome but not mandatory.
Voters are requested to vote 5 points for first place, 3 points for second place, and 1 point for third place.
Voters are requested not to submit other point combinations such as 3/3/3, 4/4/1, 5/2/2, etc.
PLEASE POST YOUR VOTES HERE BELOW IN THE FORM OF A COMMENT (REPLY) TO MAKE IT EASIER TO COLLECT AND REGISTER THEM. PLEASE QUOTE THE STORY TITLE RATHER THAN THE NAME OF THE AUTHOR.
Writers are requested not to vote for their own entries.
There will be no interim detailed summaries of how the voting is progressing throughout the voting period but as soon as possible after voting closes a tabulated list of results will be posted separately and the winner declared.
Accepted entries have been logged in and are listed along with links to enable voters to locate them.
Here follows a list of the accepted stories with links.